4.02.2009

Home Sweet Home: Kari


Welcome to Kari's home sweet home!

Kari's the creator of Spring Chick Designs, and is a fellow Virginian (who still lives there, unlike me). If you've read her blog, you've perhaps seen that her crafting studio has been featured on both Ikea Hacker and Apartment Therapy. I've been hearing about Kari's talent, humor, and kindness for years from my older sister Katie, who is her friend in real life, so it's been great to follow her via her blog. She is amazing.

Peeking into her house, Kari's surrounded her family with things that have history and sentiment. Exactly the type of home you want to be in. (Plus, I bet it always smells good, like hot freshly baked warm things - Kari makes very yummy treats. Be sure to check out her bread recipe).



Dining Room: "...I had an idea to make a gallery of original portraits in my dining room. I started with some family portraits (the matching couple are my grandparents, drawn by my cousin) and have collected others from various sources including eBay, etsy, and local art students. All four walls are now covered with interesting faces."



Kitchen:"Our kitchen table was my husbands' growing up. It’s pretty indestructible. My kids love the barstools because the tops swivel. The furniture piece was used for display at a boutique that was going out of business. I asked them if they were getting rid of their fixtures and they sold it to me for a steal. I keep fresh herbs in pots inside in the winter and move them outside in the summer (that’s my rosemary tree in the picture)."



Living Room:"...We decided to place our piano in our living room so that we’d get in there and use a room that some people just have ‘for show.’ The kids are constantly practicing in there and it’s also the preferred room for block building! The piano has been passed down through my family for 5 generations – not sure how I lucked out to get it. The iron piece on the wall is from an antique auction, I think it’s an old steeple. My neighbor was throwing away the ottoman, so I grabbed it and made a slip cover for it."



"...This room is very hodge podge right now (new furniture is on order – white slipcovers!). This is where we spend most our time. Coffee table is Katie’s [*side note - Katie is my older sister & friend of Kari's] old one (I bartered my sewing labor for it!) The marble top side table I scored at an antique store for half price. The mirror is antique. The curtains are Ikea, they were a quick fix for privacy, but they’re kind of growing on me. My husband made the huge sign. We copied an antique sign we saw that was selling for a fortune. We were able to get the Denton library to send us information on the Caroline Sales Co. that is advertised, that operated in the 1940s. Some people love the sign; some people think it’s really ugly." [*Kari - I love the sign.]



(For more pictures of Kari's studio see the links at the top of the post from Apartment Therapy & Ikea Hacker. Well worth seeing - Kari is so resourceful.)



Her five year old's room:"...The dresser was a hand-me-down that I repainted. The quilt on the wall was made by my mom. I found the baby scale on the dresser in my grandparent’s attic (it was used to weigh my mom and her siblings). I found the play metal baby crib at a flea market. The doll dress was made by my mother-in-law."



Her ten year old's room: Bedding from Ikea, Kari made the pillow and doll (doll from Wee Wonderfuls pattern), her daughter made the S plaque and cute paper chain.




Basement: "...I can’t believe I’m showing you my unfinished basement, but it is the greatest place for the kids to play. I don’t care if it becomes a total mess, and there’s nothing much they can hurt. Someone gave me the best advice to paint my concrete basement floors before we moved in. It eliminates the dust and makes it so much brighter. All of this junky furniture was headed for the dump, but at the last minute I changed my mind and put it in the basement. The dresser actually works great for storing puzzles, games, and art supplies. The teacher’s desk and chalkboard inspire hours of playing ‘school.’" [Another side note: The one thing I hate about California is the lack of basements! This might be my favorite picture of all -]

I asked Kari to share a parting housekeeping tip. She says this, which I love: "...if something’s not working for you, change it. In my last house I was constantly frustrated with things about the house, but just lived with it for 7 years. In this house, if I see that something could be improved I just change it! For example, I found myself taking my mixer and baking ingredients in and out of the cupboard so frequently I decided to put them in pretty canisters and just keep them out. When my kids’ coats kept falling off hangers, I took out the closet rods and put up hooks instead. I read a book once that said every house has “hot spots” where stuff collects. If you have a spot where you dump your mail, put a pretty tray there to hold it, and then it looks better and feels more purposeful, right? Make your house work for the way you really live – that’s my new motto."


Thank you Kari, for sharing your lovely home with us!

27 comments:

Michelle said...

oh what a gorgeous house...love the pictures and inspiration...

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

What a beautiful home. I love her eclectic mix of furniture and decor and the girls' rooms are wonderful.

melissa said...

Kari: your house is amazing! I'm so glad we got to see it. I especially love your daughter's room with the pretty quilt made by your mom; the dining room portrait gallery; your older daughter's green room; your sewing/art studio. Wow, it's all so beautiful! What an inspiration!

lynne said...

I just LOVE how everything means something. How lucky to have so many family heirlooms! And ones that are so beautiful -

Jen said...

Love this house! In every picture I picked something that was my favorite and then I'd see the next and add another favorite. I would love to meet this girl!
♥ Jen
PS thanks for posting these home tours, so fun!

Lauren said...

Love the house and the advice is so true. If something doesn't work fix it.

Thanks for the inspiration Kari!

(I don't know if I have met you - I am Katie and Lynne's sister).

Heather said...

That is one beautiful abode!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! I love the mix of old & new. It makes the space so rich & timeless. I'm definitely flagging the studio pictures for my soon-to-be-carved-out sewing nook.

Prue said...

I like her advice at the end. We have lots of hot spots...

Anonymous said...

優良的LED工廠所生產的LED,是世界品質第一的LED
裡面的員工都是穿著制服,裡面的室內設計也很優,初二十六要去香舖買香拜拜,led的網站設計空間設計更優,老板也要結婚了,所以找了婚禮錄影
婚禮顧問內的室內設計創業加盟的那一間好多了,結婚玩要去有名的天堂鳥宜蘭民宿玩,是在宜蘭民宿
沒錢就去汽車借款來玩好了

車燈來看看唷!
情趣用品對一般人來說充滿神秘動人的吸引力,許多人想一窺情趣用品究竟,卻又不敢太過接近,因為這個領域充斥著謠言與標籤、讓許多人深怕一碰及就會讓別人投射以異樣的眼光看待。

如果大家稍微留意一下,不難可以發現一些事,大多人在逛街時對每一間情趣用品用品店的櫥窗都會向內張望後姍姍離去,有一些人卻是假裝目不斜視的走過。畢竟台灣人的觀念並沒有像國外一樣的開放,所以還無法很公開與光明正大的踏進情趣用品去選購一些情趣用品
 
利用網路購物的方式去選購情趣用品是相當方便的一件事情,可以從網頁上獲得商品的詳細介紹而不必害羞的去詢問店員商品的使用方法,並且在商品的介紹上面也不亞於從店員那獲得的資訊,有些甚至還更詳細一些。
 
在台灣有許多情趣用品訂購網站,從以前只有少樣的情趣用品用品到今日數百種的情趣用品看來,這種促進閨房之樂的東西已經漸漸地為人們所接受與喜愛。

但以目前的市場來說,絕大部分的情趣用品網站皆以銷售台灣、大陸製造的情趣用品居多。原因很簡單:成本低廉,卻也因此犧牲了品質和安全性!情趣用品是直接與自己和最親密的另一半的身體接觸,為了節省一點點的金錢而選擇品質粗糙的廉價黑心情趣用品,實為相當不智的選擇。

a片是一種藝術
a片
SEO排名沒有一定的規則
seo是什麼
台北搬家的十種簡單方法
二胎房屋是什麼
清境民宿優閒自得的好地方
要找搬家公司要打哪隻電話
我想買一台二手車來開
需要室內設計快上吧
我家需要室內設計 
我想買一台led車燈很亮
我想買一台led自行車燈很亮
要找新竹搬家公司要打哪隻電話
要找室內設計做最好的是哪家
網路行銷是什麼

加油棒來看看唷! 
精準的室內設計資訊在這
昱承室內設計設計的很棒

很亮的照明請找阿囉哈

台北搬家公司服務最好

Three Kitchen Fairies said...

Thank for sharing such a wonderful house!!I really enjoyed this post.

j+g said...

lovely house!

Susannah @ Art Nest said...

All of the advise and found furniture is so inspiring! What a beautiful home~ Your sign brings a smile to my face...my parents salvaged an 'Alligator Farm and Petting Zoo' sign and hung it in our den when I was in Jr. High - it also got mixed reviews.

Jen said...

What a beautiful home! Every corner is stunning!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful home! So peaceful and well put together. I love these home tours! Thanks for sharing yours Kari!

nathalie82 said...

beautiful house!!! kari has such great taste. not one thing i do not like. and the basement looks great too........way to go kari!

Stephanie said...

So, so very pretty. I'm truly inspired!

Bethany Hissong said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!! My house has been ignored lately, but I now am going to take Kari's advice. I first discovered her when she decorated her studio and I was so impressed!! I love a home that looks lived in!!!

Celia said...

Lovely, cozy home! Thanks so much for sharing all these inspiring pics!

酒店上班請找艾葳 said...

艾葳酒店經紀提供專業的酒店經紀,酒店上班,酒店打工、兼職、酒店相關知識等酒店相關產業服務,想加入這行業的水水們請找專業又有保障的艾葳酒店經紀公司!
艾葳酒店經紀是合法的公司、我們是不會跟水水簽任何的合約 ( 請放心 ),我們是不會強押水水辛苦工作的薪水,我們絕對不會對任何人公開水水的資料、工作環境高雅時尚,無業績壓力,無脫秀無喝酒壓力,高層次會員制客源,工作輕鬆。
一般的酒店經紀只會在水水們第一次上班和領薪水時出現而已,對水水們的上班安全一點保障都沒有!艾葳酒店經紀公司的水水們上班時全程媽咪作陪,不需擔心!只提供最優質的酒店上班環境、上班條件給水水們。

milf said...

1。那混合物是更缓慢的 ... 但是 Lexus 的即将到来混合版本 ' 将是比气体气体更快的唯一的版本如好地有多马力。不要自夸速度,但是我被吸引轮流开送行为 90,是警察给我一次休息。
2。那不是很
... 只是通过在城市乘公交车往返我储蓄过来 $ 5000/yr 与我的以前的汽车,吉普车切诺基相比。超过 5 年,会是 $ 更不用说会进一步增强我的储蓄的最近的比率远足的 20K。这样除非你是在你的父母的地产上吸的一个浪费的儿子,你的声明是一束公牛。

milf said...

3. 45 (90 r/t)
45mpg 天是 2 我的车上> 8 加>>比。那每天是 6 >仑的一笔>蓄, 120 月, 1440 每年者 5040 (根 3.5 元/) ... 加上它发表 1/10th CO2。多愚蠢是它不要骑一个,去算进今天和年龄。
4.缺少了解 ... 是真的,实际上我个人这样那样喜欢它我可能享受所有鼓励;税,合伙用车,免费停车米, prius 业主之间的秘密的信号,等等;这样自私地说那我真地在那里在享受在所有气体汽车业主上的所有权那没有一个想法多少我这辆汽车有的嬉戏。我 junked 我的 SL,郊区对我的 Prius ... 你应该也。

gaohui said...

If ordering from an online ed hardy Clothing store, she should either have tried ed hardy sale the garment on in a store somewhere ed hardy or she had better be buying ed hardy UK from a vendor with a great return ed hardy cheap policy. Buying from an ed hardy Clothes online vendor has its risks and ed hardy store they should be understood. The edhardy.com upside is that online stores christian audigier sale tend to have a large selection ed hardy dresses of clothing to choose from. The ed hardy Polos bad news is they can be more ed hardy sandals expensive, or the cost of shipping and handling ed hardy Jackets can offset any cost savings she might have enjoyed.

longge said...

It seemed that no one could get enough hermes bag . An award winning film and stage actress, bag hermes was to many a shining example of all that was 1950's Hollywood glamour. Talented, poised, graceful and breathtakingly beautiful, Hermes Birkin enchanted audiences and individuals everywhere.

отели в барселоне said...

Goodness, there is really much useful material here!

Anonymous said...

植髮
雷射溶脂
瘦小腹

包皮
男性結紮
泌尿科


植髮
雷射溶脂
瘦小腹

包皮
結紮
泌尿科
男性結紮

Anonymous said...

1
生活關鍵字:白蟻 老酒 回頭車 棧板 瘦小腿 SEO 熱水器 汽車旅館 大陸新娘 植髮 整形 電波拉皮 瑜珈教室 蛋糕 整形 江詩丹頓 植髮MOTEL

2
熱門關鍵字:香港民宿 包皮 宜蘭民宿 室內設計 SEO 貨運公司 熱水器 老酒收購 百達翡麗 勞力士 隔熱紙 瑜珈教室 人工植牙 整形 電波拉皮 雷射溶脂 植睫毛

3
好康關鍵字:江詩丹頓 隔熱紙 樟芝 白蟻 跳蚤 SEO 香港平價住宿 民宿 裝潢 外籍新娘 男性結紮 瑜珈課程 隔熱紙 眼袋 瘦小腹 公仔 公仔設計